Always liked this quote and it is some darn fine writing. Don't know who the author is. It didn't show up in any casual searches. Maybe someone out there with a higher skill set can hunt it down.

'The Halo Effect' is a very real phenomenon and part of the arsenal in any sales organization. The real estate team I was on in Detroit included a gorgeous young woman named Jeanette. Whenever a single or divorced man was looking for a house, we would send Jeanette out for the kill. She would drag them back to the office and flop them on our desk ready to be put under contract. Besides oozing sex appeal, she was actually very sharp and knew the business. When the real estate market collapsed in 2008 Jeanette went back to her hometown of Cleveland. She died at 33. I never did find out the details. I can think of several scenarios knowing her. She liked living on the edge. Sometimes you fall off.

Another more recent example was when I turned 64 and was shopping for a retirement variable annuity. I was at the broker's office explaining exactly what I was looking for and in walks a very attractive young lady. The broker introduced us and told me she would take it from here in presenting their products to me. I just instinctively said "Oh, the ringer!" He laughed nervously, but I had no problem with her or the concept. Their average customer were older men and their job was to land them in the boat. Annuities are fairly static instruments and I just go in and rebalance the investments it holds once a year to account for political and economic changes. While doing it I would way rather look at her than some middle aged man. She has proven to be real sharp too and has steered me to some opportunities I might have missed otherwise in our six years together. It doesn't have to be an exploitive relationship. It is just smart sales strategy..... 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog