I have never been a big nostalgia buff. I do enjoy going back and reflecting occasionally on different eras of my life, primarily to review the lessons learned, which there have been plenty. The pop culture of my youth means very little to me now. Lots of people get stuck believing the music, TV shows, and movies when they were young whipper snappers were the bomb. In reality it probably has more to with being at the very top of your physical and hormonal game. You were firing on all cylinders, while simultaneously being exposed to pop culture aimed at your generation. At the end of the day, it is a business. 

I remember when my parents used to watch Lawrence Welk on TV every Saturday night religiously. I even got them into a live telecast at the old Hollywood Palace on Vine St. when I worked for ABC as a guard. You would have thought it was the Beatles. Then it occurred to me that punk rock is as far back in time now as the music Welk was playing in the 70's was then to the 30's and 40's. The hippie 60's music is even further back than that, working its way to 60 years! One huge difference is how large the Boomer generation was. It kind of took over the pop culture of several succeeding generations. Plus, the recording industry made huge strides in the 60's and 70's technologically, so the fidelity and access to the music of that time stuck around. The Boomers will run out of steam for good around 2030 I am guessing and that bulge in the population snake's belly will move on down for good. Good riddance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog