Scrubs were $14.95 at Walmart when I was a geriatric CNA. I had three, a blue, green, and red one. I soon learned the red one could agitate some of the dementia patients at the facility I worked, so I ditched that one. I used my scrubs with a stethoscope casually thrown around my neck to convince several dementia patients I was a doctor when we were faced with a situation where we needed to calm a patient down. Being the only white male in a workface of black Haitian women put me in that position a few times when things got sticky with rich, old white racists. I got very good at projecting authority and speaking mumbo jumbo while looking at 'charts', which were any I could grab.

My favorite incident happened when a fill in doctor was making the rounds at the facility one weekend. He could not convince one of the patients to take his meds. Ironically, this patient had been a GP himself, but his dementia was fairly bad by then. The Haitian CNA went and got me, knowing my skill at impersonating doctors. I got the patient to take the meds from me with no problem. I could tell the real doctor was kind of pissed. They don't teach sales psychology in med school.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog