20 years ago my father passed on. He was briefly in a nursing home and the writing was on the wall. He had just turned 86 a few days before, so he had a pretty good run. He had no bad habits, but like so many men of his generation, he didn't have many good habits either as far as exercise or diet.

I remember going in that night and seeing him for the last time. He had an old man's best friend, pneumonia, and was pretty well out of it. I hand spoon fed him some ice cream, one of his food staples, and he ate it. Luckily his nurse was a customer from his shop and knew him well. She showed me all the signs that he was going soon that I later learned so well as a CNA. I sat with him awhile saying nothing. As per the nurse's suggestion I whispered in his ear that it was OK to go. I learned later on just how powerful those few words can be. Some people hold on until they are given permission to let go.

I went home. Later that night they called me and said he was gone. I really felt nothing. We had no relationship. I have felt much more for many an animal that was part of my life. I did know that there was going to be some big changes ahead because of his passing though.

One of the doctors called me the next day to say he was concerned about a small growth on my father's neck and he wanted to biopsy it, as it could be cancerous. Cruising for some extra money. The nurse had already told me this doctor was a sleazebag and to not let him talk me into anything. I told the good doctor my father was dead so I don't think that growth he had on his neck would be an issue. I was too tired to even be mad.

However, I did give the good doctor one last shot. I always had an inner tube valve tool on my key chain for my bike. About two weeks later I was driving by the nursing facility in the early evening and noticed the doctor's Mercedes parked at the end of the parking lot out of the way. I stopped and removed all 4 valve cores from his tires. I suddenly felt better, so I guess he was a pretty good doctor.

I am the last one standing from this photo..... 
All reactions:
Allyn Smith, Beaumont Chrismer and 31 others

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog