Five Ways Mindfulness Helps You Age Better (berkeley.edu)

I can surely testify as to how mindfulness has made my aging a way better experience. Our attention is now a valuable commodity, and we are frantically bombarded with information 24/7 trying to hijack our attention. Mindfully unhooking from the technology for just 20 minutes and meditating right before bed has worked wonders for me. Having no TV or smart phone helps cut the tether too. I think I will make it through without them in the time I have left. I am no enemy of the technology though. I believe the pluses outweigh the minuses so far. I just have to figure out my own relationship to technology before it decides that for me.

The part of this article that really piqued my interest was the mentioning of the studies on how mindfulness affects the immune system and illness in general. As I have brought up in the past, and no doubt will in the future, I was raised in a Christian Science household smack dab in the middle of the rational scientific 50's before the hippie 60's and psychedelics shook up that paradigm a little. I was no stranger to the concept of 'mind over matter'. To be clear, Christian Science was neither Christian nor Science, but it did provide me with a unique perspective, and I experienced many things that stuck with me through the years.  It did leave me with a theory that a lot of Woo-Woo stuff is just science we don't understand yet.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog