This was my posse in the late 50's in San Jose, California, the Zetterquist brothers. We had just gotten our first bikes and that opened up a whole new world of exploration and range in the neighborhood.

One adventure I remember quite vividly was the scary old lady down the street who was always lying in a bed with the window shades open. We would creep up to her window, take a peek, then run away scared and laughing at the same time. We were not sure what she was, but she was spooky looking and just stared at us and never smiled. I can see her clearly right now as I write.

I was too young to understand the situation. In looking back it was obvious she was a bedridden elderly woman who was quite ill, something I got to know quite well later on working as a CNA in skilled nursing facilities. I hoped in retrospect we did not upset her. I don't think we did from my experience. By the time people are facing death they usually don't care very much about anything in the earthly realm, and she was a dying lady, of that I am sure now.

The Zetterquist boys both went on to be very successful men and assets to society. I just went on... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog