Me and my buddy Melissa have been watching movies about every Sunday for going on almost 7 years now. The theme was to start in the present year and go back year by year to when the talkies first started, around 1930, then go back to the present year and do it all over again. It really has been a fascinating and educational study in how culture, mores, and society have evolved and changed through the decades. Now that we started all over this week with a 2024 flick, I have decided to do a weekly review of whatever movie we just saw. Self-standing movies are in themselves becoming an antiquity. Now all the energy is going into all those streaming mini-series. I don't own a TV, so I don't have a clue what that is all about. I could never sit through any movie or TV series alone. Time is too precious, especially at my age. As a weekly social event with an intelligent friend and having a theme is the perfect fit. 

This week's movie was 2024's "Drive-Away Dolls" A Coen brother's film, only minus one Coen, as this is Ethan's directorial debut. All the rest is pretty much intact as far as the Coen bros' style, humor, themes, and comedic violence. One thing that shows I am getting older is this was a marketed as a 'period' piece set in 1999. Somehow, I have a hard time looking at 1999 as an era, but at 25 years back I suppose it is. They drove a Dodge Aries, so I guess that kind of proves it, as I haven't thought about that car in a very long time.

It is a 'buddies' road' flick, though in this case the buddies are lesbians. Ethan Coens' wife, Tricia Cooke, wrote the screenplay and is a lesbian herself in an open marriage where they both have side sex partners. Can't get more Hollywood than that. This movie is chockful of Lesbian sex scenes, the majority done for comic effect. No lipstick lesbian stuff here, strictly raunchy 90's parks and rec women's softball team sex. The working title of the film was "Drive-Away Dykes", but I am guessing that was even a little too much for hip present-day studio brass. The film is well acted and paced, and like all contemporary movies technologically flawless. I found Geraldine Viswanathan very sexy, and they even threw in Miley Cyrus in a cameo. I have always had a dirty old man crush on her.

The one thing that really stood out to me is of how reminiscent this flick was of a Russ Myer softcore sexploitation pic from the 60's. So many scenes reminded me of "Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!" or "Cherry, Harry, and Raquel". Sure enough, in researching the film it brought up how much the Coen Bros were influenced by Meyers. Russ was way ahead of his time. These days he would have been a well-respected director working with huge budgets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog