I have brought up before at the amount of Marijuana related litter alongside the road I find now that recreational pot has been legalized in New Mexico. I have not smoked any weed in close to 20 years and really have no urge to do so now. I did go into one 'dispensary', I find that a cute term, just to see what was going on. I was amazed at the variety of products and how middle class and mainstream pot had become. The green crosses everywhere are a nice touch too. I wasn't tempted to buy anything though.


The other day I am on my daily constitutional walk, and I spot one of those joint tubes on the ground. I pick up litter alongside the road as a rule and threw it in my bag. When I got home, I noticed the tube appeared to be unopened, so I opened it. Sure enough, it was an unsmoked joint that looked like Barbie had rolled it. If I ever was going to smoke a joint again, here was my perfect opportunity. 

I have smoked a mountain size worth of weed in my lifetime, and also grew in a state-of-the-art grow-op at the time and dealt. The highest I ever got was the first ragweed joint I ever smoked because it was a new experience, and experience is the difference between exploration and habit. No one will be smoking weed now and hitting the road like Kerouac and be writing the great American novel. Pot has lost all its cache of rebellion, outsider status, and bohemian creed. Now it is the new beer and patent medicine, snake oil cure-all that everyone is climbing on the bandwagon to sell and get rich. To paraphrase Leary, I got the message a long time ago and it was time to hang up the phone. I threw my Barbie joint in the trash.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog